Breaking

With 1m cases, England to enter national lockdown next week - Prime Minister Boris



British Prime Minister Boris Johnson says a lockdown will be put in place in England next week as part of efforts to stop a surge in coronavirus cases, as the country reached the 1 million mark for total confirmed infections on Saturday.


Non-essential shops, as well as leisure and entertainment venues, will be closed from Thursday through December 2, as will pubs, bars and restaurants, which can only offer takeaway and delivery services. Schools and other educational institutes will remain open, however.


“I’m afraid from Thursday the basic message is the same: Stay at home, protect the NHS and save lives,” said Johnson, warning that without the measures, the death rate could grow even higher.


“Christmas is going to be different this year, perhaps very different, but it’s my sincere hope and belief that by taking tough action, we can allow families across the country to be together,” Johnson said, citing similar measures by France, Germany and Belgium.


He added that the devolved governments had been informed.


The 1- million mark was reached as the country’s health authorities reported nearly 22,000 new cases within 24 hours. However, it’s still not the worst-affected in Europe, trailing behind France and Spain.


However, Britain’s death toll is the highest in Europe, with more than 45,000 related deaths since the start of the pandemic.


Johnson had introduced a three-tier system of restrictions for England in mid-October, but the move was criticized as insufficient.


The government’s Scientific Advisory Group for Emergencies (SAGE) suggested a new lockdown weeks ago. Vanguardngr

Socialize

Disclaimer
Most News articles reported on SSTNEWS are a reflection of what is published in the media. SSTNEWS is not in a position to verify the accuracy of daily news articles, however, we ensure that only news articles from credible sources are reflected in this service. Independent opinions which are mailed to us may also be published from time to time at our discretion, however the sources for these independent articles will be clearly stated.

Share your story with us: SMS: +2349067561649, Whatsapp: +2349067561649, Email: shockingstatementafrica@gmail.com or qubesentertainmentmagazine@yahoo.com
Receive Alerts on: Whatsapp: +2349067561649, Twitter: @sstnewsng